Oatmeal is one of my go-to breakfasts. This protein-packed banana oatmeal is not only scrumptious, it’s beauty-boosting! You can thank the added collagen peptides, which have been shown to help improve skin elasticity and reduce cellulite over time (and by the way are also beneficial for joint health). The brand I use is Further Foods (use discount code “NOEXCUSESCHICK” for 10% off your order).
It all starts with old-fashioned rolled oats. You can also use quick oats or steel cut oats, just be sure to use half as much steel cut oats for similar macros! I prefer to cook my oats on the stovetop so I can simmer all the flavors together, but you can also microwave the oats and water for two minutes and add the remaining ingredients after cooking. Add the banana just before the oats are done cooking for extra sweetness!
You can use any vanilla protein powder you have on hand in this recipe (or cinnamon or banana flavored!). I used whey isolate, but a plant-based protein would also work. If using casein or a whey-casein blend, you may need just a bit more almond milk for a creamy texture. Always add the protein powder and collagen peptides after cooking or your oats may get clumpy or gummy (yuck).
I love the addition of cinnamon, vanilla extract, and almond extract, but these are totally optional. I also topped my oats with creamy almond butter, figs, the other half of my banana, strawberries, and blueberries. So freaking good!
Here’s the printable recipe. Do me a favor and rate this recipe/comment below if you try it 😉
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- Dash salt (optional)
- 1/2 medium banana
- 30g vanilla protein powder
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (I use Further Food brand)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/8 tsp. almond extract (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
- Add oats and water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium, and stir occasionally until thickened.
- Add sliced banana, protein powder, collagen, and almond milk; stir until creamy.
- If desired, stir in extracts and cinnamon for extra flavor. I topped my oats with the other half of my banana, creamy almond butter, figs, strawberries, and blueberries (not included in macros). Enjoy!
- Calories (per serving, minus optionals): 356kcal, Fat: 4.6g, Sat fat: 0.4g, Carbs: 43g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 9g, Protein: 37g, Sodium: 147mg
- Calories (per serving, including optionals): 360kcal, Fat: 4.6g, Sat fat: 0.5g, Carbs: 44g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 9g, Protein: 37g, Sodium: 149g
- © 2017 No Excuses Nutrition. If you wish to publish this exact recipe digitally (website, blog, ebook) or in tangible format (cookbook, magazine), you must first request permission by emailing email@example.com. If publishing an adapted version with one or more ingredients changed, it is sufficient to mention "inspired by No Excuses Nutrition."