I love carrot cake… and this bread is like a slice of heaven! It has sweet spice, carrots, and a cream cheese icing to top it off. It’s super moist but holds together like a bread should – perfect for smothering with more frosting, nut butter, or eating all by itself! The second batch (not pictured) I added some chopped walnuts and raisins which took the flavor to a whole ‘nother level. It’s hard to believe something that tastes this good could have 12g protein and and only 5g sugar per sugar, but it’s true!
The protein comes from Jamie Eason Lean Body for Her Whey Protein Isolate in Natural Vanilla, which is my favorite all-natural protein powder (use discount code “SARAH10” for 10% off all orders from www.labrada.com/store). I used spelt flour because it always seems to yield the perfect texture for breads, but feel free to substitute gluten-free baking blend or oat flour.
To add sweetness without all the sugar, I used Pyure Organic Stevia Blend, a combination of stevia and erythritol. You can also use twice as much baking stevia or granulated erythritol, or an equal measure of Truvia Baking Blend (which has more carbs and sugar). For the perfect amount of spice, I used cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves! You can use just cinnamon if that’s all you have, but the other spices add a little kick of extra flavor.
There is almost a cup and a half of grated carrot in this recipe, which adds wonderful flavor and moisture. I also used unsweetened applesauce and a bit of canola oil to improve the texture. I highly recommend adding some crunchy walnuts and plump raisins to the mix, but it still tastes delicious without. You can even add unsweetened shredded coconut to the mix! Mmm.
The icing is just my go-to combo of whipped Greek cream cheese, sweetener, and vanilla extract. If you can’t find Greek cream cheese (I buy it at Walmart), feel free to use any other type of cream cheese: fat free, reduced fat, Neufchatel cheese, or dairy-free cream cheese. You can also nix the icing and enjoy this delectable bread plain. It’s such a heavenly treat either way.
Here’s the recipe! I hope you enjoy 🙂 Please rate and leave a comment below if you try it!
- 90g Lean Body for Her Whey Protein Isolate in Natural Vanilla*
- 1/2 cup oat or spelt flour*
- 1/2 cup Pyure organic stevia blend*
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves (optional)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup (2-3 large) grated carrots
- 1/2 cup (4 large) egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- 4 oz. whipped Greek cream cheese*
- 3-4 tbsp. Pyure organic stevia blend*
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (through baking soda) in a medium-large mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (through vanilla extract) and mix until just combined.
- Stir in nuts, raisins, and unsweetened coconut if desired.
- Lightly coat a standard bread pan with cooking spray, and pour mix in.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean.
- Allow bread to cool for 10-15 minutes while you mix up your icing (optional).
- Spread icing over top of loaf and sprinkle with grated carrot, nuts, raisins, or whatever else your heart desires. Enjoy!
- Store in the fridge up to one week or in the freezer up to one month.
- Calories (per slice, minus optionals): 105kcal, Fat: 2.7g, Sat fat: 0.4g, Carbs: 11g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 9g, Sodium: 160mg
- Calories (per slice, including optionals): 186kcal, Fat: 7.6g, Sat fat: 1.7g, Carbs: 19g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Protein: 12g, Sodium: 204mg
- © 2016 No Excuses Nutrition. If you wish to publish this exact recipe digitally (website, blog, ebook) or in tangible format (cookbook, magazine), you must first request permission by emailing email@example.com. If publishing an adapted version with one or more ingredients changed, it is sufficient to mention "inspired by No Excuses Nutrition."