This week I was craving almond crusted chicken and pasta, so I came up with this delicious healthy chicken parmesan. The almond-crusted chicken was inspired by iFOODreal, with a couple changes. I used egg whites instead of whole eggs and added some grated parmesan to the almond crust. I then melted some mozzarella cheese over top and placed the chicken atop a bed of marinara, “zoodles” (zucchini noodles) and wholegrain penne (because… carbs).
This recipe can be gluten-free if you use quinoa pasta, brown rice pasta, zoodles, spaghetti squash, or shirataki noodles. If you’re on a low carb diet, stick to the last three options!
I made my zucchini noodles or “zoodles” using a Vegetti, which you can buy at Walmart or Target for about $10 USD. For the marinara sauce, I went with Classico Tomato & Basil, but you can really use any red pasta sauce you like! I look for 50 calories or less per half cup (which usually translates to lower sugar).
The chicken is coated with almond meal, parmesan, garlic powder, oregano, black pepper, and kosher salt. If you’re allergic to almonds or just want to reduce the fat content, swap out the almond meal for panko or whole wheat bread crumbs. You can also leave out the parmesan and mozzarella for a dairy-free version. For the garlic powder and oregano, I used dry spices which are both affordable and easy to find.
Just look at that perfectly tender chicken and that melty cheese! This is one dish I’ll be making again and again for sure. Here’s the printable recipe! Please rate and comment below if you try it 🙂
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts (~three 8-ounce breasts)
- 1/4 cup (2 large) egg whites
- 1 cup almond meal*
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated*
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 6 oz. (uncooked) wholegrain pasta, prepared*
- 6 medium zucchini*
- 3 cups marinara sauce*
- 3 oz. part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded*
- *See above for substitutions and notes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lay each chicken breast flat and cut in half horizontally down the length of the breast from the thicker side to the thinner side. You should now have six thin chicken breast halves.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil and lightly coat with cooking spray or oil.
- Add egg whites to a small bowl.
- Combine almond meal, parmesan, and spices in a separate bowl.
- Dip each thin chicken breast in the egg white first, then dredge in almond meal mixture. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake coated chicken breasts for 15 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions.
- If making zoodles, wash zucchini and trim ends. Slice into long strips using a Veggetti or spiralizer. If desired, sauté zoodles over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Assemble plate as shown using 70g cooked pasta, 350g zoodles, half a cup of marinara (125g), one crusted chicken breast (~90g), and 15g shredded mozzarella. Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be portioned out and stored in the freezer up to one month.
- Calories (chicken breast only): 258kcal, Fat: 12.7g, Sat fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 5g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 1g, Protein: 31g, Sodium: 184mg
- Calories (as shown): 498kcal, Fat: 17.3g, Sat fat: 3.2g, Carbs: 43g, Fiber: 10g, Sugar: 15g, Protein: 44g, Sodium: 700mg
- © 2017 No Excuses Nutrition. If you wish to publish this exact recipe digitally (website, blog, ebook) or in tangible format (cookbook, magazine), you must first request permission by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If publishing an adapted version with one or more ingredients changed, it is sufficient to mention "inspired by No Excuses Nutrition."