Ever since I got a waffle maker it’s been my mission to make the perfect protein waffles: crisp yet tender, low fat, high protein, and oh yeah… delicious! These waffles are definitely a winner. As a matter of fact, I can’t even tell the difference between these and “regular” waffles made from mix. They’re perfect topped with sweetened berries and whipped cream, melted peanut butter and bananas with maple syrup, or whatever else you can think up.
They get their protein from Jamie Eason Lean Body for Her Whey Isolate in Natural Vanilla, which tastes great and cooks well (use code “SARAH10” for 10% orders from www.labrada.com/store). You can experiment with other brands and types of protein (whey-casein blends or plant-based protein), but I cannot guarantee the result as I’ve only used Lean Body for Her and The Protein Chef Baking Protein. Just a heads up – anytime you change the protein powder, you will alter the flavor and texture somewhat.
I used white spelt flour which yielded the perfect texture and flavor! You could substitute a gluten-free flour blend for baking, but I wouldn’t recommend oat flour, almond flour or coconut flour. I thought oat flour would work but the waffles came out rather dry and not as fluffy 🙁 Perhaps some tweaking of the original recipe would yield a better result.
To add just a little extra sweetness, I used Pyure Organic Stevia Blend. Truvia would also work, or twice as much baking stevia or erythritol. You can even leave out the sweetener altogether if you prefer!
To add moisture, I used nonfat plain Greek yogurt and just a little bit of butter. The egg yolks add some healthy fats for moisture too – but you can use two egg whites or a flax egg instead. If you don’t do dairy, try a dairy-free yogurt and vegan buttery spread in place of the Greek yogurt and butter. For more crispy, even more decadent waffles, use a whole tablespoon of butter or coconut oil.
Here’s the recipe! Do me a favor please – rate and comment below if you try it 😉
- 30g Lean Body for Her Whey Isolate in Natural Vanilla (use code SARAH10 for 10% off)
- 1/3 cup spelt flour*
- 2 tsp. Pyure organic stevia blend*
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt*
- 1 whole egg*
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. butter, melted*
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- *See above for substitutions.
- Preheat waffle griddle (I set mine one notch below medium).
- Whisk together dry ingredients (through baking powder) in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (through vanilla extract) and mix until combined.
- Add 1/2 cup of batter to waffle griddle and cook until golden brown.
- Add desired toppings and enjoy!
- Calories (per waffle): 200kcal, Fat: 5.8g, Sat fat: 2.4g, Carbs: 19g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 19g, Sodium: 110mg
- © 2016 No Excuses Nutrition. If you wish to publish this exact recipe digitally (website, blog, ebook) or in tangible format (cookbook, magazine), you must first request permission by emailing email@example.com. If publishing an adapted version with one or more ingredients changed, it is sufficient to mention "inspired by No Excuses Nutrition."